www.Greece-Athens.com - ATHENS CITY GUIDE
HOME | E-CARDS | MAILING LIST | ATHENS PHOTOS  
 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
SEARCH
German translation by Google French Italian Spanish Portuguese Japanese
WORTH SEEING
PRESIDENTIAL MANSION
NATIONAL THEATER
THE SOUTH SLOPE OF T
CANELLOPOULOS MUSEUM
NAUTICAL MUSEUM
CYCLADIC ART MUSEUM
ATHENS UNIVERSITY
ARCHAELOGICAL MUSEUM
ATHENS CONCERT HALL
MUNICIPAL GALLERY
BYZANTINE MUSEUM
WAR MUSEUM
NATIONAL LIBRARY
EPIGRAPHICAL MUSEUM
MUSEUM OF POPULAR IN

ATHENS
HOTELS
RESTAURANTS
RENT A CAR
TRAVEL AGENCY
JEWELLERY
ART GALLERIES
TAXI TOURS
INTERNET CAFE
CAFE
REAL ESTATE
CONFERENCES
NIGHTLIFE
EVENTS
WEDDINGS
TOURIST OUTLETS
LIMOUSINE SERVICES
TRADITIONAL PRODUCTS
YACHTING
COSMETICS
LAUNDRY
CRUISES
HOSTELS
GRILL HOUSE

Live Acropolis webcam
ATHENS MAP
METRO MAP
INFORMATION
REGIONS
BEACHES
WORTH SEEING
ATHENS VIDEOS
PHOTO GALLERY
360 PANORAMAS
TOP 10
EMBASSIES
METRO
MAPS
HISTORY
E-CARDS
MAILING LIST
NEWS
SEARCH
ABOUT US
LINKS
ATHENS WORTH SEEING PANATHENAIC STADIUM

PANATHENAIC STADIUM
It was originally a natural hollow part of the ground between the two hills of Agra and Ardettos, over Ilissos river. It was transformed into a stadium by Lykourgos in 330-329 BC for the athletic competitions of the Great Panathinaea Festivities. Between 140 and 144 AD, Herodes Atticus restored the Stadium, giving it the form that was found at the 1870 excavation: the horseshoe construction with a track 204,07 meters long and 33,35 meters wide. It is believed that the Stadium had a seating capacity of 50.000 people. Separating scales were built between the tiers and on the base of the sphendone there was a portico with Doric-style columns; another portico was placed in the stadium's facade. Herodes possibly restored also the Ilissos river bridge on the Stadium's entrance, making it larger and adding three archways on its base. The bridge was standing there up to 1778 and a part of it was excavated in 1958. At the Roman times, the Stadium was used as an arena, with the addition of a semi-circular wall on the north that was corresponding to the sphendone of the southern side.

The modern times restoration of the Stadium was conducted by G. Averof by the end of the 19th century for the first Olympic Games that were reborn again in 1896.
If you are familiar with this place , please share your opinion of it with other travelers. Write a review!

ABOUT PANATHENAIC STADIUM
Remodelling of the Panathenian Stadium


PANATHENAIC STADIUM PHOTOS

PANATHENAIC STADIUM - It was originally a natural hollow part of the ground between the two hills of Agra and Ardettos, over Ilissos river. It was transformed into a stadium by Lykourgos in 330-329 BC for the athletic competitions of the Great Panathinaea Festivities. Panathenian Stadium - Photo of Panathenaic Stadium, also called Kallimarmaro