In 25th August in 1834 Othon visited Athens before its formal nomination as the capital of Greece.
He entered the city from the gate of Adrianos and directed himself towards Kydathinaion Street in Plaka, leading to Ioannis Paparrigopoulo’s, the official Russian envoy, place.
According to Regency’s decree, Athens was nominated the capital of Greece in 18th September in 1834 and in December, after completing his period, Othon was installed in Alexandros Kontostavlou’s residence.
The Chian banker’s residence was bought by the state in order to be used as the first King’s of Greece palace.
At the period, Athens allocated not more than 164 residences and destroyed buildings that were built mainly round Acropolis and were surrounded from walls that had been erected in 1778 by the Turk voevodas Ali Haseki. The walls allocated seven gates, with greater one the Adrianos’ gate.
Athens was extended from Makrygianni’s region up to Psyrri and Plaka’s square was considered to be the city’s centre.