Since Constantinople was occupied, with few exceptions, the construction of temples was not allowed; only in more favourable periods could the existing ones be repaired. The treaty between Russia and Turkey in 1681 granted the Orthodox with the right to have their churches built or repaired; a right already given to the Catholics.
Nonetheless, the permissions were given as a gift, in return to economical offers.
Important churches, such as the temple of “the bodiless on stairs” (1577) in the west side of Adriano’s library (it is no longer saved), seem to have been constructed thanks to such refunds.
Similarly, in 1572 the monastery dependency of Caesariani was renovated, the Kareas monastery in 1575 and the monastery in Penteli in 1578.
However, the churches had to be low and surrounded by grounds, so that fanatic Turkish are not challenged at their view. The bells were also forbidden and were replaced by wooden monastery bells.
The richest Athenians used to have small privately owned temples built in their yards, where their families and themselves could safely hear Mass, protected from Turkish attacks.
All other Athenians heard Mass either at dawn or in removed regions, even in caverns, in order to protect themselves from the Turkish attacks.
The Turkish administration in Athens, which belonged to Santzak, a region in Euboea, consisted of four superior employees: the Governor, the Voevoda (an honoured title, granted to the tenant of revenues in province), the Judge and the Mouftas (superior supervisor of religious affairs)
The collected revenues resulted from both legal and arbitrary taxes, the choice of those children per four-year-period that would join the class of janissary. In order to protect their children from that mass kidnapping, the Athenians used to have them married at infant age or make them monks.