BYZANTINE MUSEUM Periodical Exhibitions
1884-1930: From the Christian Collection to the Byzantine Museum
29 March - 31 October 2002
The exhibition "1884-1930: From the Christian Collection to the Byzantine Museum" is the widest temporary exhibition mounted in Athens in recent years, featuring over 700 objects. These include icons, sculptures, works in the minor arts, wall-paintings, manuscripts, textiles and pottery, the majority of which is displayed for the first time. The unpublished, authentic photographic and archival material accompanying the works is unique. Modern technology serves the Exhibition's aims, with a multimedia installation, produced by the Byzantine and Christian Museum and Fournos Lab.
The Exhibition is intended to heighten public awareness of how the Byzantine and Christian Museum came into being, and the role of this museum in relation to recent Greek history. Moreover, the historical changes in the appreciation and evaluation of Byzantine art are enhanced by the different approach in organizing the first Museum of the Christian Archaeological Society (ChAS) and the later Byzantine and Christian Museum, founded by law in 1914.
The history of the Byzantine and Christian Museum began in 1884, with the founding of the Christian Archaeological Society. The first part of the exhibition displays the Society's Collection and the leading role of one of its founder-members, Georgios Lambakis (1854-1914). The second part presents the founding of the Museum and the forming of its collections between 1914 and 1923, when the Museum was administered by a Scrutinizing Committee and Director Adamantios Adamantiou (1875-1937). The third part concerns the period from 1923 until 1930, when the Byzantine Museum was transferred from the Athens Academy to the Villa Ilissia, its home to this day. The dominating figure of that period was Georgios Sotiriou (1880-1965), Director from 1923 to 1960.
A small catalogue (at the price of 5 euro) gives the visitor general information on the exhibition. The scientific exhibition catalogue is under print. The Museum's Office of Educational Programs has designed an educational program for primary and secondary school groups, as well as for adult groups. An educational guide for the younger visitors has also been published and is free of charge.
Guided tours take place on Wednesdays at 19:00 and Saturdays at 12:00. Two guided tours in English have been scheduled on Saturday 3 August 2002 and Saturday 24 August 2002, at 12:00.