Ten Days for Architecture
29/11/2002 - 08/12/2002
The Hellenic Institute of Architecture, with the support of the Architectural Network of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture organizes a series of events from the 29th of November to the 8th December (10 days for architecture). Similar events take place in Thessaloniki, in Chania, as well as in many other countries, in order to establish a World Day for Architecture.
The events, which will take place, aim to inform the public as far as the importance, the substance, the utility and the implications of the presence or absence of architecture in everyday life is concerned. It is an effort to present and make known to the public some examples of the contemporary Greek architecture so as to begin a further discussion about architecture in the city.
The following events have been scheduled for the city of Athens:
- Signaling and presentation of 30 buildings of high architectural quality in the center of Athens. To see a complete list of these building click here.
- Five buildings open to the public, hosting an exhibition which presents the 30 selected buildings.
- Publication of articles written by architects and non-architects referring to architectural and urban problems of the Greek cities.
- Presentation of the events by the media. Television programmes and special issues at the press, have been scheduled.
- Selection of certain school buildings of high architectural interest and conducted tours for groups of students.
- Conducted tours are scheduled, on Sunday the 1st of December, as well as, on Sunday the 8th of December.
On behalf of the Hellenic Institute of Architecture the event curators are the architects: V. Arapidis, H. Kokkinaki, L. Manitsidou, G. Papanastasiou, with the support of the architect S. Gyftopoulos member of the Hellenic Institute of Architecture.
Similar events are being organized in the city of Thessaloniki by the Architects Association of Thessaloniki and in Chania by the Center of Mediterranean Architecture.
Greek Ministry of Culture